colorado heritage and history
CHAFFEE COUNTY’S HERITAGE     Historical structures and stories…

Home

Natural Features

Cultural Patterns & Lifestyles

Historic Structures

Ancient Peoples

Scenic Views

Public Resources Stewardship

• Wildlife Stewardship

Benefits of a Heritage Area Program

Heritage Board Meetings

What's Happening Now?

• Thanks

• Partners and Links

chaffee county history

Poncha Springs ... and Salida ....

ponchas springs courthouse ponchas springs courthouse
PONCHA SPRINGS
ponchas springs courthouse
ponchas springs courthouse

Poncha Springs (US 50 and CO 285) -– The first written description of this area was recorded by Spanish governor Juan Bautista de Anza, who led 600 soldiers from Santa Fé augmented by Ute Indian warriors over Poncha Pass in August 1779 on their way to the eastern plains and victory over Comanche Indians under chief Cuerno Verde.  

The town on the South Arkansas River at the bottom of the pass, the gateway to the San Luis Valley, was platted as Poncho Springs in 1879.  It grew as a railroad junction and popular resort because of its location and healthful hot springs.  The historic Jackson Hotel records visits by notables of the time, both famous and infamous. Today it sustains Chaffee County’s third largest community and the flag flies proudly from the cupola on the prominent two-story Town Hall, which was completed in 1883 as a school in the Italianate style.

©2005-2008 Chaffee County Heritage Project - Contact Us