- This event has passed.
GPS on the Midland
November 21, 2015 @ 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm
GARNA and AHRA are organizing a special GPS field event on Saturday, November 21. This program is designed to complement an intro geospatial workshop taking place directly before from 10:00 am until 12:00 pm.
Participants may choose to attend either just the workshop or the workshop and the field event but you must have some GPS experience if attending only the field event.
The 3-4 mile loop hike/GPS training will take place along the Midland Railroad Grade near the Collegiate Peaks Overlook/picnic area east of Johnson Village on the way up Trout Creek Pass. Beautiful mountain and rugged shallow canyon scenery with sweeping views of the Upper Arkansas Valley are the backdrop for this trip.
This event will begin with short basic GPS field skills training and orientation for the utilization of the GPS and topographic map in the field to locate specific points specified by latitude and longitude locations. A short hike will be defined by three points and the start/finish location. Each field point is a latitude/longitude location, marked in the field by a survey flag. Each team of participants will find their points in a particular order that defines the loop hike (you will be given a team card with all the points in order on it and with some hints as aides). The loops and points are designed so that hiking will be done on the trails/roads and major washes in the area – with only one minor cross-country section for some (other than that, we ask that NO cross-country foot travel be done). A USGS 7.5 Minute Series topographic map of the specific hiking area will be provided for each team so that progress on the ground can be followed on the map.
The event will be led by Bob Hickey, AHRA volunteer naturalist. As a geologist and GIS hobbyist, Bob is a true student of all-things geospatial and geological. He is continually building his knowledge of these fields to share with anyone interested. He has led many hikes to explore the rich and diverse geological phenomena of our area, and has led GPS field programs for Mueller State Park.
- You do not need to have your own GPS unit although if you have one, please do bring it.
- Attendance is by reservation because we need to assign participants to small teams (approximately 4 to 6 people each), so please sign up as early as possible – a link for sign-up is below.
- No GPS experience; some beginner skill in use of a topographic map reading for hiking is all that is needed. GPS field skills possessed will help us define the teams
- Groups of participants, like couples, that sign up together can be assigned to the same team, as desired by the participants.
- To park at the Collegiate Peaks Overlook fee site, either a daily or annual Colorado State Parks pass is required for each vehicle to use them. If you do not already have an annual pass, daily passes are available for purchase at the Collegiate Peaks Overlook for a fee of $7.00.
- The event will begin promptly at the indicated start time. Since you will be assigned to teams with other participants, please be on-time as proper consideration for all other participants.
- Pets are allowed in this area and should be on a leach – some of the trails/roads are shared with bicycles and vehicles
You must register by 5:00 pm Wednesday, November 18. If you have questions, please email Dominique at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The cost of the program is $5 for GARNA members and $7 for non-members regardless if participants attend just one session or both. Pre-registration is required and can be found on the workshop event page.
If you are interested in attending ONLY the field event, please email the office at email@example.com to let us know.
Sorry, registration for this program has closed.
Many GARNA programs require a liability release form be filled out each calendar year.
Your registration is secured upon receipt of payment. If you prefer not to register online (recommended), you may mail a check, made out to “GARNA” to the address below. Please include a note with the program you are registering for.
PO Box 1522
Salida CO 81201
If we are notified of your need to cancel within 24 hours of program date, your program fee will be refunded except for a $3.00 administrative fee. If minimum enrollment has not been met by program date, programs will be cancelled 2 days prior to the date and we will refund the full amount.