Photo Credit: Deborah Fields
Adventure Ideas During the COVID-19 Pandemic
Nature is so important, especially during stressful times. Sunshine and fresh air can do wonders for the mind and body, so GARNA put together some ideas for both outside and inside activities. While GARNA moves it’s educational programs to the virtual realm for the time being, we hope you’ll get outside, ease the stress of the COVID-19 Pandemic, while renewing and reinforcing your connections to nature. See the buttons and lists below for ways to engage you and your family.
“Adventure isn’t hanging off a rope on the side of a mountain. Adventure is an attitude we must apply to the day to day obstacles of life” – John Amat
Make sure to check our event calendar often for virtual programs, and please do everything you can to support our local business!
Ideas to support our fantastic local businesses:
- Buy gift cards to use later
- Order takeout/delivery
- Clean out your gear room/garage and donate your used gear to Colorado Sports Recycler (Call and check to be sure they are receiving donations)
- Don’t gather in groups.
- Keep 6-feet between yourself and folks not in your household.
- Try to avoid touching handrails, door knobs, etc.
- Bring hand sanitizer or wipes.
- Wash your hands thoroughly when you get home.
Adventures in the outdoors:
- Practice your photography skills in nature, and then enter the GARNA photo contest.
- Hike on our amazing nearby trail (make sure the trails are still open). Try an app like Colorado Parks and Wildlife’s COTrex to find new hikes in your area.
- Download the IBird App and go bird watching.
- Hit the trails or road on a bike.
- Find a peaceful spot outside and draw, write, or paint. Check out these tips on nature journaling from the National Wildlife Federation.
- Work in your garden and get it ready for planting.
- Try some forest bathing, or Shinrin-yoku, and be still.
- Fly a kite!
- Find a sledding hill after it snows.
- Take your dog for a walk/hike – make sure to keep dogs on leash to protect wildlife, and clean up that poop!
- Go camping in your backyard.
- Find a park and move: yoga, tai chi, etc.
Adventures for indoors:
- Edit all your nature photos you’ve been meaning to – and then enter some in the GARNA photo contest. Starting on April 15, 50% of photo submission fees will be donated to the Chaffee and Lake County emergency relief funds.
- Clean and check all your camping gear to get ready for the summer! Donate unwanted gear to Colorado Sports Recycler.
- Make a fort in the living room or set up a tent to ‘camp’.
- Check out a live nature cam at Explore.org.
- Read adventure books/magazines/websites and get excited for your next trip.
- Watch some great outdoor films for free from the Banff Mountain Film Festival.
- Get lost in a book.
- Try some online classes with Buena Vista Parks and Rec and Salida Parks and Rec.
- Travel the world with Google Maps Treks.
- Check out Guidestone Colorado’s tips for garden starts and other garden inspired activities.
- Try some nature crafts, see the button above for craft ideas!
- Get ideas to green up your home and the world by checking out resources at Chaffee Green Sustainability Program of GARNA.