GARNA’s Youth Ecological Literacy Program, YELP, offers many out-of-school opportunities to connect with nature and learn about the environment. GARNA partners with many existing organizations in Lake and Chaffee Counties including the Chaffee County Boys and Girls Club, Salida Recreation, Buena Vista Recreation, Get Outdoors Leadville, Full Circle-Familias Juntas, Family and Youth Initiatives, and Mountain MeetUp to meet youth where they are.
Winter/Spring 2019 Enrichment Programs
GARNA hosts Friday Enrichment – a partnership with Salida Recreation Department
- Who? Chaffee County residents ages 5 – 12.
- When? Fridays, from 9 am to 2 pm.
- What? Students will use an outdoor classroom to learn about wildlife and wildlife habitat through crafts, journaling and games.
- Participants must register through Salida Rec, 539-6738.
Natural Kids Series and Adventure Field Trips with the Chaffee County Boys and Girls Clubs of
- Who? Chaffee County Boys and Girls Club Members, grades 1 – 4.
- When? TBD for Spring ’19
- What? GARNA and Boys & Girls Club of Chaffee County are working together to offer Natural Kids, a series of nature-based experiential learning sessions. Natural Kids is held at the Boys & Girls Clubs in both Salida and Buena Vista. See our calendar for more information.
Get Outdoors Leadville! Adventure Days
- Who? Lake County youth grades K – 6
- When? See GOL calendar
- What? Join GOL, GARNA, and other partners like C4 and Ski Cooper for days of adventure during professional development days.
Stream Explorers – GARNA/Collegiate Peaks Chapter of Trout Unlimited
- Who? 5th – 8th Graders
- When? Salida – April and May 2019, Buena Vista – May and June 2019, Leadville – Summer 2019
- What? GARNA and Collegiate Peaks Chapter of Trout Unlimited invites middle school students to “experience the natural world” as part of its FREE Stream Explorers program. In addition to learning about river creatures and doing aquatic experiments with fish and shrimp, students will learn to tie flies, learn basic fly casting, and go fishing with flies they tied themselves. No experience is necessary.