Chaffee County Heritage Area and the Collegiate Peaks Scenic and Historic Byway
As the Board’s administrative arm, GARNA helps to implement a plan to protect the rural landscapes, scenic views, public natural areas and historic places that give Chaffee County its sense of place. Under direction of the Chaffee County Heritage Area Advisory Board, GARNA obtained Colorado Byway designation and administers byway management along the 57-mile corridor highlighting historic sites, scenic vistas, interpretive centers and world-class recreational activities in Chaffee County.
NEW INTERACTIVE MAP!
view the Collegiate Peaks Scenic & Historic Byway Conservation Plan
Key Accomplishments via Federal Highway Administration and State Historical Fund grants:
- November 2005 – Colorado’s 25th Byway, the Collegiate Peaks Scenic & Historic Byway was designated
- November 2008 – Chaffee County Heritage Area / Collegiate Peaks Scenic & Historic Byway Management Plan adopted
- 2009 – Collegiate Peaks Scenic & Historic Byway brochure completed – view the brochure
- June 2009 – Three interpretive waysides installed at the Ohio-Colorado Smelter, at the Zebulon Pike Historic Wayside on Hwy 285 and overlooking the Leadville Stagecoach Road near Granite on Hwy 24
- March 2011 – Development of Wayside Media Plan adopted
- 2011 – Chaffee County Reconnaissance Survey completed – volunteers documented over 1,000 historic resources county-wide
- August 2012 – Crossroads of the Rockies Welcome Center in Poncha Springs completed
- 2013 – Chaffee County Historic Resource Survey completed – a survey of 65 properties to determine eligibility for state and national historic registers; view the Historic Resource Survey Report
- 2013 – Five more interpretive waysides installed at in downtown Salida and Buena Vista, in Poncha Springs at the Crossroads Welcome Center, at the Chalk Cliffs overlook on Hwy 285 and at Fisherman’s Bridge rec site
- 2014 – Beginning work on nominations of 7 historic properties for the National and State Registers of Historic Places made possible from a grant from the Colorado State Historical Fund.
- 2015 – Completed nominations of 7 historic properties for the National and State Registers of Historic Places – Granite Stage Stop, Kelley/Coleman/Wallace/McDonald House, Pease/Dake/Fay House, Comanche Drive-In, Wilber Homestead/Rock Ledge/Franzel Ranch, Salida Livestock Sales, Inc, and Pedro/Botz House
- 2015 – Grant awarded by the Colorado State Historical Fund for the nomination of 5 more historic properties to the National and State Registers of Historic Places
- 2015 – Completed Colorado Scenic Byways Economic Development Strategies Plan including the Collegiate Peaks Scenic & Historic Byway
- 2016 – Completed Collegiate Peaks Scenic & Historic Byway Conservation Plan
- 2016 – Completed nominations of the Buena Vista Rodeo Grounds and Pine Hall in Granite for the National and State Registers of Historic Places made possible from a grant from the Colorado State Historical Fund
Chaffee County Heritage Area Advisory Board meetings
The Heritage Board usually meets every six weeks on Thursday; alternating between Salida and Buena Vista.
Thursday, April 6, 2017 12-2 pm Buena Vista Public Library
Thursday, May 18, 2017 12-2 pm Salida
Thursday, June 29, 2017 12-2 pm Salida
Thursday, August 17, 2017 12-2 pm Buena Vista
Thursday, September 28, 2017 12-2 pm Salida
Thursday, November 9, 2017 12-2 pm Salida